By Carole Landry
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday proposed cutting payments to countries that fail to investigate sex abuse accusations against their troops deployed in peacekeeping missions, among a series of new steps aimed at stamping out the misconduct.
The United Nations has been badly shaken by the wave of allegations of sex abuse by troops it deploys in missions with a clear mandate to protect civilians.
Guterres said in an annual report that there had been 145 cases of sexual exploitation and abuse involving troops and civilians across all UN peace missions in 2016, up from 99 in 2015.
The increase is partly explained by the fact that more victims are coming forward, with some allegations relating to cases from previous years.
Guterres, who took the UN helm in January, said the United Nations “continues to grapple with the scourge of sexual exploitation and abuse, despite great efforts over many years to address it.”
Four missions have the highest numbers of cases: Minusca in the Central African Republic, Monusco in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Minustah in Haiti, and UNMISS in South Sudan.
But human rights groups have complained about the lack of accountability for peacekeepers. Many have avoided investigation altogether or received light punishment.
Guterres proposed that payments to countries that fail to investigate allegations “in a timely manner” should be withheld, and that those amounts could be instead directed to a victims’ trust fund.
The measure is already in place for individual peacekeepers facing allegations, but the proposal would broaden it to payment for the full contingent of troops deployed in a mission.